Sunday, December 29, 2019

First Days Shouldn’t Turn Out Like This…


My alarm went off at 5:30 am. It was still dark, but I wanted to make sure I was clearheaded and prepared for my first day of work at Biff Co. Of course, I needn't had worried, sleep wasn't really an option. Too nervous. So instead, I just ended up just reading Jerry Van Dyke's autobiography: Don't Forget I Exist Too.
Fearing my lack of sleep would come to bite me in the ass later, I injected 300 CCs of caffeine straight into my jugular. A quick bowl of muktuk for energy and protein, (yeah, I know it’s a dessert, but I wanted to treat myself) and I was out the door.

I didn't have to be there until 9, and it was only a 15-minute trip, but I left my tree house apartment at 7:45 am just to make sure I didn't get lost and because I wanted to get a good spot. Plus, the bosses always like to see employees’ cars in the parking lot early, Never hurts to get in those brownie points.

Imagine my surprise when I got to the lot and the guard told me I couldn't park there because it was full. I looked through my front windshield and through the wire fence in front of my car. The place was so barren it looked ripe for two gunfighters to have a duel at any moment.

"Ummm, it looks completely empty to me, ma'am," I said.

"No, it isn't. Move along," she replied.

Maybe it was the lack of sleep, or the early hour, but my brain couldn't fathom her words. I looked again. It was somehow even more empty the second time, like some kind of Bermuda Triangle of parking. In the end, I just turned around and drove aimlessly until I could find a spot. I must have been in the "Little Cybertron" area of the city, because both sides of the street were occupied by vehicles. Busses, cars, hovercrafts, segways, penny-farthings, there were no open spots. So I just put my car in neutral, opened the door and bailed, tucking and rolling.

As my car crashed into the orphanage behind me and exploded, I walked into the building and up to the main desk.

"Good morning. My name is Josh and I'm here for my first day as a Snicklefritz-Enabler. I was told to meet Dr. Brooks here for orientation?"

"Yes Mr. Hsoj. She's in her office on the seventh and a half floor. When you get off the elevator, make a right and her office should be the third door on the left. If you see Mr. Malkovich's office, you've gone too far." the receptionist said.

I got on the elevator and stood there scratching my head, trying to figure out which button to press until somebody else walked in and hit the button for the eighth floor. As the elevator ascended, I decided to be gregarious and make as many friends as possible, to start things off on the good foot, as James Brown once said.

“Hi, my name is Jo…” I froze as I saw my lift companion, my arm locked halfway to hand-shake position.

Firstly, I was looking too far up for eye-contact. And by too far up, I mean eye-level. This person was short. I’d say approximately the height of three apples stacked on top of each other. Secondly, he was blue.

“You’re a Smurf,” I stuttered.*  
“No shit, Sherlock,” he said, extending his hand to shake mine. “The name’s Ulcer Smurf. And don’t ask why,” he added, effectively shutting me down just as my lips were about to form the interrogative. “What department you in Fish?”

“Ummm, I’m in, in Snicklefritz Murders and Executions. I’m the new enabler.” I managed to say to, until a minute ago, what I thought was a fictitious piece of Belgian lore.

“Ha! Good luck Noob,” Ulcer said and then stepped off the elevator because we had reached his floor. I then pressed the button for seven and went down a level.

I eventually found the 7th and a half floor hallway by flushing the third urinal in the women’s bathroom and opening a hidden panel. I made my way to Dr. Brooks’ office and knocked. The was no answered. So I knocked again. Again, silence was my only reply. As I turned to walk away, there was a knocking on the door from the inside. So, with a shrug, I said “come on in?”

Out walked a woman who had clearly stopped shopping for office attire after seeing the 1988 movie Working Girl. Her shoulder pads were big enough to make her a first-string blocker.

“Thanks for the compliment,” she said. “I have a special guy from Cambodia. He only sells me the finest shoulder pads.”

What the hell? I thought. Can she read minds?

“No doofus, you’re speaking out loud. You must be Josh, our rookie. Morning Rook!”

“Good morning Dr. Brooks. I’m just happy to be here working for Biff Co. It’s been a lifelong…”

“Spare me Rook. Get off the nipple, I already pay a guy to yank on my tits and he’s better at it than you. So let’s cut to the chase and I’ll show you what you’ll be doing here at Biff Co. Both today, and (baring any unfortunate circumstances) for the rest of your natural life!” she chortled.

And with that, she took me by the hand and we walked into an ever increasingly misty corridor. What was I in for?


*Wait a minute. How the fuck did a Smurf manage to hit the button for the eighth floor?!?!

No comments: