Monday, January 20, 2020

Ferguson Darling (or, get killed now and avoid the rush!)



(I wrote this out of anger in 2014 after the murder of Michael Brown and the riots in Ferguson. I didn't post it because it wasn't really funny and it was really just an exercise to get shit off my chest. But today being the holiday it is, I revisited what I wrote and I wonder, has anything changed? Are we better or worse?)

There. Feel better now? Get it all out of your system? Your rioting. Your protests (both violent and peaceful.*) Your sharing the links to a dozen different, (yet all equally ineffectual) online articles, some written by actual writers with an idea of how language works and how words fit together, some written by people with a keyboard and at least two working fingers, but little else.

All pointless.

Your anger. Your righteous indignation. Your raging against…something. The system? Racism? Cops? Is it all out there? Have you divested yourself of that negativity?

I certainly hope so. I mean sure, people are dead, still dead, even more dead and dying. And sure, the police officers who killed these people are free, with no sense of accountability, ready to kill again (with extreme prejudice) or sign that lucrative book deal. Whichever they prefer. Oh yeah, and the system hasn’t changed either. So the same stuff is going to happen again and again until we run out of innocents to kill or become too desensitized to care.  But on the bright side, I know I can sleep at night, because I shared a bunch of hashtags, I “liked” some scathing articles aimed at people who will never read them and basically showed the world that I’m totally on the side of people who think randomly and senselessly killing minorities is a no-no.

Of course, the actual murders were just the appetizer. I too was a part of the throngs who demanded action and accountability. I too wanted to see the perpetrators of these crimes, the police officers we entrust with our lives and safety, explain their actions and get what’s coming to them. I too was dumbfounded by the fact that other, regular Americans, people who probably eat the same foods I do, shop at the same stores and watch the same shows as me, could EVEN THINK of events in ways that didn’t match my own opinions or views of the world. I too confused justice and revenge.

But then it was the next morning. The dead people were still dead, the live ones still alive and it dawned on me that simply having a viewpoint wasn’t enough to change the world. Breaking into creepy third-world electronics stores** didn’t change the world. Being really mad and telling everybody that I was mad and confused didn’t change the world either. I realized that there was probably very little I could do about it. I’m certainly not going to don a cape and a mask to dispense justice myself. That sounds far too involved. And for once it didn’t seem like dumping water on my head for “awareness” purposes, or bullying people for not voting was going to accomplish much either.

The way I see it, the world is an unfair place and unfair shit happens all the time. Including racist shit. And pointless death. If you want, you can believe in God or karma as cosmic entities who right wrongs all over the universe and maintain the balance of the force. You can say to yourself that they’re on the case and in the end things will work out just fine. More power to you. Delusion is bliss. I’d jump on that train in a moment if I thought it was productive.

When you ground your kids, they say it’s unfair and you tell them to deal with it. Why not take your own advice? Think the world operates differently for you because you’ve got a few extra years, pounds and crotch hairs than your children? Conceited much? The unfairly killed dead people didn’t have happy endings and I’m pretty sure that you can do whatever you want in their names and they won’t care in the slightest.

Oh, and before I go, I just want to give an extra shout-out to the people who keep going on about this Conversation About Racism, they want to have. That’s adorable and totally feasible. It’s not a patronizing argument to hide behind in the slightest. Hey Americans, stop being racist and treating people of different races poorly! I’m sure that if we just sit down and talk things out, we’ll have this sorted in no time. Talking has worked so well for so many other countries and ethnicities throughout history. Because deep down people are intelligent, rational and willing to admit that their viewpoints should be changed. That’s a reasonable thing to assume about people, right?

Anyway, that’s all I have to say about things. Don’t look for words of wisdom, (from me, or anybody else, to be honest). Don’t look for solace or peace. Not when it comes to cops who kill 12-year-old boys, or who choke to death grown men who use their remaining air and the last words on their lips to explain how that whole breathing thing needs to continue if they want to live. Not when it comes to racism. Not when it comes to our penal system or our fellow Americans (both of which are just simply terrible). There can’t be peace. And the anger will grow and grow with no legit outlet for it.

Then it consumes and spreads out. And that’s how we get super villains and clock tower snipers.

Nobody can tuck you in bed at night and send you to sleep with the satisfying notion that everything will be alright. No news article and be the balm that soothes your burning heart. The world is unfair. The end.

*Seriously though, I managed to “acquire” a BETAMAX player. How random is that?!

**Ray-Ray’s Discount Electronics Boutique on Spencer Road. The Walkmen are on the shelf next to the BETAMAXs.

No comments: