Sunday, August 31, 2008

For Those Who Doubt

Some people question me. I get messages every week from people asking me where I am, if I'm still in Iraq. Hey, it's posted on my page people! Go ahead and check, right next to the picture of my ugly mug staring off into the distance like I've got some kind of deep thoughts going on. Yep, there it is "Baghdad, Iraq."

If that's not enough for you, feel free to read the "about me" section on my page. After all, that's what it's there for. I'm pretty sure there's something in there about being shanghied by the army and forced to come back to Iraq for the third time.

I'm also fairly certain that I've written about it in older Eighty-Four Glydes. But then, I can't blame people for not reading that mess.

"But Josh," you might be saying to yourself (which is dumb, because I'm on the other side of the planet and can't hear a word!) "If you're in Iraq as a soldier, how come you rarely, if at all, write about your trials and tribulations in a time of war? Surely you must be living the difficult soldier's life and it needs to be documented for all to read!"

Nuts to that, (deez nutz in fact.) There are hundreds, if not thousands of other servicemembers out here, (and in Afghanistan) doing the deployed-American-soldier-in-a-time-of-war-and-strife thing. It's been done. And most of it is pretty lame. That's how we end up with movies like Jarhead. Cause everybody thinks they've got a story to tell. And most of us don't. It's all so redundant. How many times can you read about somebody missing their friends and family members before you pass out from sheer boredom? (The answer is not very.)

But, I am not alone in this world. I do happen to have friends and family, (and people I'm trying to network with). And they all would like regular updates as to what I am doing here in Baghdad this time around. I don't blame them. I'm ridiculously entertaining.

So, to keep everybody informed, (I am a journalist, after all) I've been doing a bi-weekly newsletter for those in my life, called Iraqi Conversations. That's right, besides doing twice weekly Eighty-Four Glyde entries, (plus another blog that I do from time to time under an assumed identity) I also write a newsletter that I email to a rack of people whenever it suits me.

But it doesn't end there. Thanks to the efforts of my father, the Iraqi Conversations have all been gathered in one place, it's own site. That's right, the newsletters that were reserved for a few are now available to everybody! For free! You're welcome you ungrateful bastards!

Seriously though, if you want to know what I've been doing out here in Iraq, and for a little taste of something slightly different than the Eighty-Four Glyde you're used to, go ahead and check out:

http://darkblueworld.info/iraqiconversations/

The same wacky humor that you're used to, same great taste, but with a little more personal touch.

So, just to let people know, yes, I am in Iraq and here's proof. If you're jonesing for military reads go check out some other blog. Eighty-Four Glyde is for fun. No politics, no religion, no relationship advice and as few serious topics as possible. This is a place to come to when you want to relax and have a laugh. Not when you want to have deep conversations about the issues of the day. I leave that to the other bloggers.

Enjoy!

-Joshua

No comments: