Monday, March 30, 2020

These Are the Songs that Carry Us


DJ: Hey everybody and thank you for joining us at 96.9, The Throb. The “Crusty Love Nugget of You Dial” ™ I’m your host with the most this afternoon, DJ Restraining Order, ready to take your love requests during these trying times.

Here at the Throb, we know that the current virus situation has people on edge. People are forced to “shelter down”, “hunker in place” and “take hostages so as not to be alone”. We know that this pandemic is driving families apart, straining friendships and relationships and basically just being a nuisance in the hinder. So, for the rest of this afternoon drive-time “Love Hoedown” ™, your boy Restraining Order is opening up the phone lines. I’m taking all requests all afternoon. Don’t be afraid! This is how we beat the virus, communication and togetherness! Caller one, go!

Caller: Is this me?

DJ: It sure is. You’re on the line caller. What’s your name and what is your request?

Caller: My name is Hezphiacalth the Wallower and I’d like to request Loser, by Beck.

DJ: Ok Mr. Wallower, I’m not sure you get this it’s supposed to be love requests.

Caller: My dad was Mr. Wallower, just call me Hez. Okay, if that’s no good, then Creep by Radiohead?

DJ: Ummm….

Caller: Hurt by Nine Inch Nails? Anything by Nine Inch Nails?

DJ: And these are love songs for you and your partner?

Caller: Ohhhh! ME and my partner! No, these are the songs I love to listen to while skinning somebody alive. I see the mistake now…

*CLICK*

DJ: Alright, next caller, what can I do you for?

Caller: Hi. My name is Tristan and I’d like to request PYT for my loved one.

DJ: Pretty Young Thing by Michael Jackson? Odd choice considering, but okay. Who is this going out to and what do you want to say?

Caller: This is for my boyfriend Xander, congrats on graduating 5th grade this year! we'll have all the Jesus Juice you wa...

*CLICK*

DJ: Let’s try this again. Hello there caller, what is your name and how may I be of assistance this “Throbbing Afternoon”? ™

Caller: Hi DJ Restraining Order, my name is Greta and I’d like to request Ride of the Valkyries, by Richard Wagner.
DJ: Well, we usually do the hits from the 80s, 90s and today, but this is the closest we’ve gotten to an actual romantic song request, so I’ll do my best. May I ask why that song?

Caller: Because tonight he’s breaking into the nearest clinic to steal masks and drugs and if he doesn’t come back, then the next time I will see him will be in Valhalla!

DJ: You people are insane. Let’s take a short break and then back to the romantic music extravaganza here at the “Love Hoedown”!™

                                                                           ***

Commercial 1: Hey there. Are you a single in the DMV area? Want to go out and meet new people, but you’re totally over that “bar scene”? Then you should meet up with Looky Lous the only singles group for unhealthy and unlawful peeping!

Join us each month as we get together somewhere in the area to illegally look through people’s windows, personally or professionally to see what’s going on in their more well-adjusted lives!

There’s no pressure for you to interact with others in the group. We only ask that you bring your own binoculars and cleaning towel and try to be discrete during each meeting.

Join us. What do you have to lose?!

Commercial 2: Hi this is Broceps over at Club Torquemada with a great new offer for you. I have developed the perfect workout for you and your flabby body to help cope with the stress and pressure that this Coronavirus is putting us all through.

During these buzz-harshing times, the worst we can do is ignore what our body so desperately craves and needs. My routine will ensure that you will greet each day of confinement with a raised chin. Mostly because you won’t be able to lower your head or use your neck for at least a week.  

So come on down to Club Toruemada tomorrow and get 50% off with membership. Or, if that’s not possible, starting tomorrow, you can follow me in an online workout class. See you then, pussies!

                                                                               ***

DJ: Welcome back DMV to the “Crusty Love Nugget of your Dial”™ 96.9 The Throb! I’m your afternoon host DJ Restraining Order and we’re going to close out this godforsaken mess with an email from somebody who was too scared to call:

“Dear DJ, my name is Chester and I’m writing because I figured you were getting pretty tired of the callers and I hoped this would better attract your attention. I don’t actually have a girlfriend or wife of my own to make a request for, but I hoped to make a request on behalf of all those who do.

“I haven’t been around very long, but I’ve learned how important music is, not just to humans, but to animals and even plants. It’s a beautiful thing. And like all beautiful things, people want to take a piece for themselves, to latch onto like their Precious. This can be both positive and negative.
“Music, sound itself, has power like few other things do. Music can inspire people to do and create great things; it can inspire them to continue on with their lives regardless of odds. It can inspire them to find strength and glory in a greater power than themselves and to motivate others to do the same.

“Music can also inspire people to do ugly, hateful things for no other reason other than just to do them. Perhaps people get pleasure out of their actions, maybe they feel nothing more than compulsion. Only they know.

“But in the current situation, music ends up being the hands we can use to caress each other metaphorically to make up for not being able to touch physically. And that’s always good.”
DJ: There was no request in there asshole!

No comments: